The first thing that grabs my sense of smell while walking around the Grand Place in Brussels is the smell of freshly made waffles looming in the air . Not any waffle… Liege waffle! Also known as street waffles, they have a vanilla aroma that is irresistible! It’s taste delicious even without any toppings because it contains pearl sugar. According to International House of Pancakes (IHOP) one waffle has 360 calories. Still worth getting one!
I was searching for Liège waffle since I arrived to Brussels and finally I found one recipe it close enough. There are different recipes and styles out there and my mission is to get the exact recipe, soon!
- 1/2 milk
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or extract
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 pearl sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 5 oz of butter at room temperature
- It’s really easy just add all the ingredients in a mixing bowl except the butter and pearl sugar (save them for the next step)
- add the butter and mix to combine
- Leave the dough to proof for about 1-3 hours depends on the kitchen temperature. It took my waffle 2 hours to proof.
- Add the pearl sugar mix to combine, then divide the dough roughly into 8 balls.
- preheat the waffle maker, cook the waffles for 1 minute each sides for total of 2 minutes sometimes takes longer which it depends on your waffle maker and the size of the waffle dough.
Tip: you can save the waffle dough for up to 5 days in the fridge. If you intend to store the dough for few days, I suggest to decrease the proofing time to half.
Enjoy this recipe and please share your comments and recommendations.